Sunday, July 1, 2012

this weekend.

Well, as I said earlier, this weekend is my weekend off. So far, it's been amazing.

I slept in until 8 yesterday. It was weird not hearing six alarms go off from 5:30-6:30, but I'm not complaining. ;) I spent the morning relaxing mostly, went out and visited my kids (can't stay away from them for tooooo long ;)) and got ready to go to the mall. Beka, Chris, Aaron, and I spent the afternoon at a absolutely wonderful mall about 20 minutes away from the orphanage. We split up originally, Beka and I got frozen yogurt and shopped around. Funny story #1: We walked into a book store with our frozen yogurt and the worker told us (in Spanish) that we couldn't have food in the store. I thought he was asking if we needed help (my Spanish is limited okay?) and so I said, "No gracias." He looked at me like I was completely an idiot. I realized what he had meant and said, "No comida en aqui?" (No food in here?) He nodded. We quickly got out of there and started laughing. You live and learn.

We went laser tagging. Holy guacamole it was so fun haha. Beka screamed, Chris became a sniper, and  I just tried to not get hit. Aaron had it all down and was pretty legit. We all had fun. 

We needed to walk over to Walmart. By the way, this whole experience is Funny Story #2. We knew it was raining but we had to make it because we thought we had to be back at 4:30. So we go outside and Beka and I start running across the road. I turn around and I see the boys back under the awning saying, "We don't want to do this!!" As soon as they decide to run, it starts pouring harder. So we are all running through the pouring rain, laughing our heads off, and we finally make it to Walmart. Greeted by strange looks and all. We went around, sopping wet, getting all of our groceries and trying out samples. 

We spent the afternoon in Starbucks, waiting for our ride but it was fun. We got some bread nearby, some of us drank two drinks, and we laughed at how the baristas had spelled our names wrong. We didn't laugh at them... just the fact that Beka was "Veca" and my last name had turned into "Merry."

When we got home, we had a little meeting about our team excursion next week (so excited!!) and then Aaron, Tori, Beka, Chris, and I watched three episodes of Band of Brothers. It was quite good. Beka and I cried, I think, at the end of one. It made me think, I really enjoyed it. :)

Today is Sunday. I slept in until 8:30 and then we had church. It's visitor's sunday which was extremely hard. If any family of the kids wanted to visit, they could come for church and then a hang out time afterwards. I thought I had mentally prepared myself for it but it was extremely hard. I watched my toddlers look eagerly at the door just in case any of their family would come. Only two of them had visitors.

I want to protect these kids from any more hurt they could get. But the furthest I can go is to love them. God has his hands around these precious little children. As I watched them interact with their family members, it broke my heart. But God did really encourage me, reminding me that He cares for these children way more than I EVER could.

I slept all afternoon which was extremely disorienting haha. We had dinner and talked with the other team that came in today. They are super nice! Right now I am blogging right outside our room. Inside of our room is extremely warm and moist which sounds gross haha, but with 14 girls, it can get... yeah.

I'm so excited for the next week. Tomorrow we have one day of work, and then early early on Tuesday morning, we are off to our excursion. I think we are going to do a zipline through the Guatemalan forests. Don't quote me on that though ;)

fro yo! 


running in the rain haha

shopping... soaking wet. 

posing with their three liter bottle of coke. 

Oh oh! New prayer requests on the sidebar. Thank you all for your support and love! :) 

3 comments:

  1. praying for you Ellie! I love reading your posts, they touch me and make me either cry or smile. I pray God blesses you and your team and the families your helping. ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loooooove this. Great post, love the pictures! Still praying for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's sounds amazing! :) I love it. :D

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete