Tuesday, June 19, 2012

back + better.



If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.  Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.  For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
Colossians 3:1-3

Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name

10,000 Reasons - Matt Redman 


Well I guess it's time for some sort of massive update. :) 


For the past week, I have been on and off sick. It was pretty bad earlier in the week with much time spent... in the bathroom. Often, I was tempted to complain or question God's plan for me while I am here. Why would I travel all the way to Guatemala, giving up my time, and then get sick? Selfish thoughts obviously. God has a perfect plan for my life - here in Guatemala, and back at home. I didn't see it at first, but now that I am better, I realize that God was growing my complete trust in Him. I spent a lot of time praying during my sickness and asking God to renew my mind with truth and not let the lies seep in. God is faithful. He does answer prayer and He did give me much grace to not just endure sickness, but persevere through it. Plus, my team is amazing. They provided me with Sprite, Gatorade, lots and lots of rest, and constant prayers and asking "how are you doing?" So so grateful they are in my life. :)


I am in the toddler house!! I think I have mentioned it before, but it is quite exciting. Definitely physically (and sometimes mentally) exhausting. But worth every minute. This morning, I got there at 6 and left at 2, for their naps, and then back at 4 until 7. These are my days. Long but fun. It's rainy season here so we stayed inside and watched movies. 


My Spanish is improving which I am so grateful for. Something I prayed for a LOT before coming here was that I would be able to communicate. God is giving a lot of grace and He is humbling me through the toddlers as they point out my mistakes and correct me. It's good. :) Today, I was putting shoes on one of the girls and I kept saying, "ZApatos" with the accent on the first syllable. Another girl said, "No! No! ZaPAtos!!" She was so serious. I almost laughed. 


These kids here are the sweetest. I am so grateful we get to be here for two months and form real and true friendships with  them. The house parents at the toddler house are the best. They are from Boston, and have three kids of their own. I have gotten to know Amanda, the house mom, and she is super nice. It's wonderful because the house parents speak English (obviously) so I can learn Spanish, but also not be completely confused and lost when helping out. It's a win win situation. Again, so grateful for that blessing. 


We celebrated Ben's 20th birthday yesterday, complete with cake, balloons, and blowers. I really think our team is secretly a bunch of five year olds. We throw cereal at each other and just laugh and laugh and laugh. I sound like a broken record, I know. But these people keep me sane daily. I need that downtime in the evenings. :) 


On Friday we are going to Antigua for the day! I think we are planning on hiking a volcano. No big deal. I'll let you know how it goes. :) 


PS. I'll have pictures later. They are taking wayyy too long to upload right now.


Adios. :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow... what a neat experience this has been for you, and for us reading your blog! :D Thanks for sharing it with us! I pray that God uses you in amazing ways! (And I know he already has! :) So glad that you are feeling better! Can't wait to hear about the hike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying for you constantly and for your team. :) I love reading your blog! Can't wait for photos!!!

    -emily berry

    P.S. it's my birthday today. I'll send you photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gatorade?? Wow... straying off the straight and narrow... :D

    Sounds like you are having fun! Miss you. :D

    -sarah

    ReplyDelete