Wednesday, June 13, 2012

:)

So, on Monday, Kaley and Beka were delayed because their plane ran out of gas and they had to land in El Salvador instead of Guatemala City. While we were waiting for them, all of us were confused as to exactly what had happened. Aubrey said, "You can't just land someone in the wrong country!" It made me laugh super hard. Don't know why exactly, but yeah. We are pretty cool over here.

We got assigned to our houses! There are many houses at Casa Bernabe, each with a different age group and divided by gender except for the babies and toddlers. I got assigned to work with the toddlers and I am SO EXCITED. The house parents (people that are basically like parents to all of these kids) are amazing. The toddlers are adorable. I introduce myself as Eliza (pronounced Elisa) because it's easier for the kids to say, and a little boy shouted after me as I left, "Adios Eliza!" I melted. They are precious. All of the children are.

Yesterday, a local Christian middle-school came in and put on a game day for the kids complete with piƱatas. It was really special. I met a couple of the super super sweet middle-school girls and we talked and exchanged email addresses. They spoke English really well, I was impressed, and they helped me with my Spanish. For that I am grateful. :)

It was a beautiful day in Guatemala. Usually the weather each day is sun, rain around lunch-mid afternoon, and then sun again.  Yesterday it was sunny and in the high 70s. It's technically their winter but I'm not complaining. I wish winters in Maryland would be like this. :) We have taken tons of walks and played with the kids outside a lot. I feel like I have been saying "ten cuidado" a lot which basically means be careful. Being around toddlers, well, they could do anything. :)

God is very present here. This campus is such a place of beauty and love for the Lord. The staff here is absolutely incredible. My team is ohmygracious wonderful. The kids, well, there aren't any words for how precious and sweet each child is. God loves them all and you can't help but adore them as well.

Right now I am eating some peanut butter crackers that Lauren kindly gave me and taking sips of water. Something didn't sit well with me and so I threw up last night and I am in the process of getting better. I slept until 12:45 so that definitely helped. I haven't been outside of our room so I don't know if the orphanage has collapsed around me but I assume everything is okay. ;)

I'm excited to get out and about again! You know me, I can't sit still for very long. ;)


1 comment: